Thursday, April 7, 2011

Review - The Iron Witch by Karen Mahoney

The Iron Witch (The Iron Witch, #1)

Read about it on goodreads: The Iron Witch
Follow the author: Karen Mahoney
website: http://www.kazmahoney.com/
Twitter: @kazmahoney

Alrighty... Well, I had been looking forward to this book for awhile. I read good reviews for it around the blogosphere, and the cover is gorgeous. :) And it has witch in the title - so I was intrigued. It sounded like a good and interesting premise. Alchemists, faeries, elves, the elixir of life.
The book is wonderfully written. The author has a beautiful style of writing, describing everything in detail and painting a picture in the reader's mind. And while the general plot of the book wasn't that original -- outcast girl's one true friend gets kidnapped, she meets gorgeous boy who is immediately into her, they save her friend together, she discovers a strength inside her she didn't know she was capable of-- the faeries and elves and alchemy was all refreshingly new for me.

I enjoyed the relationship between Donna and her best friend, Navin. As well as her newfound relationship with hot half-faery, Xan, which is short for Alexander -- love that! Yet, I didn't find myself connecting with Donna -- in fact, she irritated me a little. Plus, I wasn't sure if she was weak or strong, she would be whiny and weinie one minute, then all defensive and confident the next. It confused me a little, but maybe that is because she is 17 years old, and still finding her way.

While I enjoyed the author's descriptions, I felt like there was soooo many. It really slowed the book down for me, and I had to force myself to keep reading when I was tempted to just give it up. Also, there was so much describing of the past and backstory, ugh. I know the author is setting up the series and must build the world for us, but it really dragged for me.

Maybe I shouldn't try to read a YA book in the midst of reading adult series and erotica ebooks... because this one just came off young. Even the characters seemed a little immature at times, even for a YA novel. -- the MC and her male best friend tickle each other while play fighting - when I was 17, my boyfriend used tickling as an excuse to kiss me... That scene just felt weird to me.

Anyway, I'm getting nitpicky, and I don't mean to. It was a good book. It was well-written and the descriptions are lovely. However, I felt like it tied up quite nicely at the end, and I'm not left thirsting for the next installment of this series. All in all, I would give it 3 out of 5 stars.


Mandy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment