Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Review - Friday Night Bites - Chloe Neill

Friday Night Bites (Chicagoland Vampires, #2)Friday Night Bites by Chloe Neill

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


I devoured the first book in this series and could not wait to get the next one. Finally! It was in my hands. It took me awhile to get into it, but I think I was in a reading slump in October and November. Anyway, I read it on a long car ride last night by the light of my cell phone (yes, I need book lights) because I couldn't put it down. I had to know what came next.



This series reminds me of Buffy episodes. There's a Big Bad (Celina), who has an ultimate motive, and along the way, the "gang" encounters mini battles in the ongoing war. Sorry, not sure what constitutes as spoilers here, but this book centered around one facet of Celina's ulterior motives. She irritates me. The bitch needs to get put down. But what I love about Chloe Neill is that it's all her machinations. Celina, Ethan, Mr. Merit - they're not just each a great strategist - it's Neill. And that's what makes me keep coming back. The constant politicking, strategizing, the moves that are being made that we, as readers, don't even know about yet.



Then there's Merit and Ethan. Gah! Really!? I hate politics, I hate logic and rational thought when it comes to my book-boyfriend relationships. I love what Merit's sister said to her, "He could sexually harass me any day." and "And by the way, if you have a chance with Blondie, take it. Please. For me." And I think all us readers would add FOR US!! Dang. I love the sexual tension throughout the book, with undertones of something more. I love Ethan. Period. I love how frustrating he is, how controlled, then BANG! He reveals a hidden part of himself and he's vulnerable. I understand why their relationship is a bad idea, but dayum... I want her to hit that... Even when she kisses Morgan (who is definitely hot, too) I just didn't feel it. I want her with Ethan, dammit!



Merit's world kind of implodes in this book and she goes through transitions as she adjusts to life as a vampire, a Sentinel, and living in Cadogan House. I feel for her in this one.



I love how real the characters seem. At times, they may be immature or respond irrationally. But, they seem real to me. Like how people I know would respond, how we would banter. I love Chloe Neill's dialogues. The snark, the flirting, the sarcasm, all of it. I love it.



So, there's book 2. It ends in the middle of Merit/Buffy off to begin a new mystery. So next week's episode is Book 3, and dangit - I don't have it yet. I need to get it, and Book 4, and Book 5... I think I'll wait to read Twice Bitten until I have the rest of them in my hands. I don't want to put myself through this torture again. :)



View all my reviews

1 comment:

  1. I was intrigued by the good reviews of the first book, with some people stating that it was stronger and better crafted than they expected - I read it and agreed. I'm not a teenage reader but I enjoy urban fantasy for fun reading. Some Girls Suck had plenty of good plot and subplot action and developed the situation without a lot of "tell the reader rather than show the reader" writing that you can sometimes encounter in early books by young authors.

    ReplyDelete