Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Review - Black Magic Sanction by Kim Harrison

Black Magic Sanction (The Hollows, #8)Black Magic Sanction by Kim Harrison

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


I don't know why it took me so long to finish this book. I think I'd been reading shorter books and the length of it was daunting. I couldn't get into it at first, but I soon fell back into the Hollows and the familiarity of Rachel, Ivy, Jenks, and everyone they come in contact with.

Rachel has been shunned and she is determined to clear her name. She doesn't like having smut on her aura. The black magic still bothers her. But she had recently discovered information about herself that is leading her toward acceptance of the black/demon magic. I loved how throughout this book, she does what is necessary to save herself and the people she loves, and still feels guilty about using black magic to do so. Her internal conflict is a theme throughout this book and it made her more real to me, more vulnerable, more relateable. Rachel has always been one of my favorite characters of all time. She is tough yet vulnerable, and she thinks too much, which I can totally relate to. :) She follows her heart a lot, while trying to follow her head, and I love going through the struggles with her.

We see a lot of old favorites in this book - Jenks, Ivy, Ceri makes an appearance. And Trent is a big part of the storyline. I like Trent. I don't know why, I've always kind of liked Trent. And for 3 or 4 books (I think) I've kinda wanted Rachel and Trent to get together. :) We do see him show a kind of loyalty to Rachel in this book, and I liked it. Nick also is a huge part of the storyline and we learn what a d-bag he truly, truly is. I felt sort of sorry for Rachel as she really let go of him and came to the realization exactly what kind of person he was.

The romantic tension continues with Pierce and, again I don't know why, I'm not a big fan of Pierce. I loved watching Rachel struggle with her attraction to him versus his easy acceptance and usage of black curses.

There was action throughout the book, romantic tension, heartbreak, this book had it all. I'm glad I finally dug in and read it. Onto Pale Demon next. I've been with this series since I found the first two books in B&N and the waiting for each next installment is excruciating. I'll probably end up dragging out Pale Demon until the next one comes out.



View all my reviews

1 comment:

  1. I don't know how you have showed so much restraint. Pale Demon is my favorite in the series so far and based on what you've said, I have a feeling it will end up one of your favorites as well. (Let's just say that Trent features heavily!)

    ReplyDelete