Monday, October 17, 2011

Review - The Darkest Surrender - Gena Showalter

The Darkest Surrender  (Lords of the Underworld, #8)The Darkest Surrender by Gena Showalter

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


Holy. Crap.

What can I even say about this book to do it justice? I honestly think this was my favorite Lords book, hands down.

I'm not sure what people consider as spoilers, since I read reviews to find out what happens. :) I may be giving some of this book, and of the previous books in the series. If you don't like spoilers, you may want to beware.

I love Strider, I have for a few books. He is simply awesome. Hot, cocky in a hot way, strong, protective, loyal, funny - all things that add up to a most amazing man to read. I also love Kaia. She is hilarious, strong, stubborn, yet would do anything for her man. She let Strider know she liked him in the last book and he rejected her. She tortures herself by approaching him again, even manipulating him a little to spend time with her, and he rejects her again. I don't know about you, but when a relationship SHOULD happen, yet doesn't - it breaks my heart in a good way. That's why I keep reading. He resists her and resists her and you know he's going to give in, but you want to see how he eventually does it. I think in this one, his surrender even took him by surprise. Hence, the name of the book! haha! Yes, it's all about waiting him out, until he finally realizes where he is meant to be.

The dialogue between these two is amazing! They crack me up constantly. I also love the interaction between Kaia and her sisters. The Harpy Games were very cool, and I enjoyed delving more into Harpy culture.

The sub-plots in this book -- we catch up with William and Paris, off on their respective missions, and Gena sets up Paris's book (coming next!!) quite well. But she also leaves us hanging, not only with William - but with Kane, yes Disaster gets his own storyline and it needs to be continued because last we saw him, he was in Hell, literally.

This book was just amazing! The characters were great, the dialogue was hilarious, the romantic tension perfect, the sex scenes HOT! The action continuous and kept the pace of the book moving. I read it fast and it left me panting for more - no joke. It hurt to end the book the way it did.

I need the next one NOW!! And did you hear she is writing a spin-off series starring the angels? First up, Zacharel... The dude has no emotions - can't wait to see what she does with him. :)

Five+++ stars for this book - a work of awesomeness!





View all my reviews

1 comment:

  1. Fab review, I liked this one as well, although for some reason I didn't like it as much as the other books! But Strider and Kaia, they were definitely an amazing couple.

    Suzanne @ Under the Covers

    ReplyDelete