Friday, March 11, 2011

Review - Evernight by Claudia Gray

Evernight (Evernight, #1)

From Goodreads.com
"She's been uprooted from her small hometown and enrolled at Evernight Academy, an eerie Gothic boarding school where the students are somehow too perfect: smart, sleek, and almost predatory. Bianca knows she doesn't fit in.

Then she meets Lucas. He's not the "Evernight type" either, and he likes it that way. Lucas ignores the rules, stands up to the snobs, and warns Bianca to be careful—even when it comes to caring about him.

"I couldn't stand it if they took it out on you," he tells Bianca, "and eventually they would."

But the connection between Bianca and Lucas can't be denied. Bianca will risk anything to be with Lucas, but dark secrets are fated to tear them apart . . . and to make Bianca question everything she's ever believed."


 Beware - I will probably have plot spoilers in here...
Okay, I took a break from all my longer, adult books I was reading and read Evernight because it was YA and would be a quick read. It started out good. I was enjoying it, getting to know the characters. I was a little frustrated that Bianca never questioned the way her parents were so old-fashioned. The boarding school scene was very Harry Potter slash Vampire Academy slash House of Night... But if I had read this series first, then they would be very Evernight-ish.

Anyway, halfway through the book - BAM! Suddenly you realize the narrator knew a huge plot point that she never let us in on!! I guess I just assumed when a book was told in the first person, we'd know all about them... Not in this book. It was quite irritating, and I even had to stop and look back to see if I missed clues - nope, they were never ANY clues that she knew.

The scenes between her and Lucas were fun at the beginning, although he was quite volatile, but became a little mushy for me by the end. Although, maybe being in life-threatening situations makes people mushier? I really like Balthazar, too - another guy who likes Bianca. I hear he's getting his own book... Nice. :)

So, I would rate this book 3 out of 5 whatevers, because the whole not knowing a huge point irritated me. I'm sure the next 3 books in the series will be better, because hopefully, there aren't any other secrets Bianca is keeping from us.

I have Stargazer on my TBR and will be reading that soon. That is book 2. Book 3 is Hourglass and book 4- Afterlife is just out.

Ooh, and I get a book for my Vampire Challenge!! Woohoo! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment